Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: Ashes, Ashes


Ashes, Ashes
Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



A post-apocalyptic novel where small pox makes a reappearance and devastates the world's population which is further decimated by a stream of natural disasters.

Lucy Holloway has spent the past year surviving on her own in the wilds. Now her home has been destroyed by a tsunami and she must find a new place to live. The only place she knows to go that might be safe from the Sweepers, the S'ans, and scavengers, is where the boy, Aidan, who rescued her from a pack of dogs lives. However, when she arrives there she learns it isn't safe there either. She must decide if staying with people is worth the pain that comes with becoming involved.

My number one complaint with this book is when Lucy is hunting rabbits with Del and Aidan. How is it physically possible to shoot a bow from your elbows?!? I don't get it. And if they sit up when they do it then why are they laying down on their bellies to begin with? There would be so much noise made sitting up into position that the rabbits would hear and scurry off before you could get your bow strung.

The editing could have been better. I guess when I read a published book I expect it to be without simple reading errors. Del's hair did not have hanks hanging in her face. I believe she might have had hunks, but definitely not hanks. That would just be weird.

I gave this 3 stars because it was entertaining and I didn't hate it. It just was a little lack luster for me and the characters didn't seem to develop. Do they just like each other for their looks? Because I am having a hard time understanding what it is again Aidan and Lucy that makes them like each other.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment